Oh ugh this morning is kicking my ass! But, I thought I would take time out of my slurping strong coffee lounging to share with you a problem I know a lot people have….motivation, or rather, the lack of it.
Let’s be real here for a hot minute. I’ve never really been an overly energetic or motivated person. If it needs to get done, sure, I’m all over it. Does it take me all day to do it? More than likely. But I have found a few ways to get over my laziness, especially now that I have a business and busy husband and teenager.
- Prioritize. I don’t keep lists or follow them because for me, they are too easy to toss in the trash. I look at my business and family planners….is there anything that is pressing? Usually there is….those are a priority. Once it is in my brain what the day looks like, I can then fill in the blanks with other things like cleaning the house, laundry…etc.
- Get off the damn internet. 80% of my business is online….so I spend a lot of time on it….but after a couple of weeks of really looking where my time was spent, I was not very happy with myself. Using this time to take fresh pictures, then spend 15 minutes per social media outlet, and another to answer emails has proven to really boost my metabolism in motivation. It’s still a work in progress, so I’ll let you know how it’s going after a month or so.h
- Hanging out in the pj’s all day is fun….but not very motivating. Get up, take a shower, and I like to do my hair and makeup so there is no way I can possibly hit the couch for a mid day nap.
- I make soap in huge bursts 2-3 times a year. This keeps me pretty well focused on everything else that needs to go on. I’d love to just make soap all day, everyday…but to be honest, I don’t know where I would put it all.
- Realizing that other people don’t like me very much when I’m frazzled, stressed out and tired because I try to do everything in one day because I left it to the last minute has caused me to up the motivation and space everything out over the whole week. Also realizing that I don’t have to be everything to all people has helped quite a bit too. Clearly defining what I do in your business and not taking in special projects has really lifted a huge weight. If you find yourself hating life….something needs to change.
- I have found WordPress to be very glitchy on my iPad. If you find devices, people, programs, classes…anything really is a huge time and mental suck that is going no where….change it. I’ve now officially spent 1/2 an hour trying to type this out….time for the laptop!
How do you stay motivated? I’d love to hear from you!